Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Highland LC Web Site
6th Grade Research 101
Anne Frank Extension
Freak the Mighty
Hour of Code
Livermore Outside Reading
Plant & Tree Identification
Westward Expansion (Peeps Project)
Professional Development Sessions
Resources for Teachers
6th Grade Science Rocks!
1. How are all rocks the same?
2. How is each rock type unique?
1. You need to take charge of your learning.
2. You will use the textbook, web sites, and other books to discover the answers to the essential questions.
3. You will create something to show the answers you have found to the questions.
1. To provide the time and materials to explore the answers to the essential questions.
2. To provide guidance as questions and issues arise during the process.
3. To grade the answers to the essential questions.
Need help coming up with research strategy? Ask Ms. Wyatt!
Research Resources as You Build Answers to the Essential Questions
GeoMan Basic Types of Rocks
- GeoMan has answers to questions about basic types of rocks.
Discover How Rocks are Formed
- RockHounds includes graphics about the different types of rock formations.
- Discusses how rocks are created and the different types of rocks.
Igneous Rocks Forged By Fire
- A section from a science textbook about igneous rocks. Nice graphics!
How Igneous Rocks are Formed
- RockHounds guide to igneous rocks with some examples of various types of igneous rocks.
How Metamorphic Rocks are Formed
- RockHounds guide to metamorphic rocks with some examples of various types of igneous rocks.
Metamorphic Rock Identification Exercise
- Guide to metamorphic rocks and how to identify them.
Outdoor Recreation Rock Hounding
- A guide to metamorphic rocks from Desert USA.
How Sedimentary Rocks are Formed
- RockHounds guide to sedimentary rocks with some examples of various types of sedimentary rocks.
Rock Identification Games
Rock Expert Quiz
- See how you do on the RockHounds quiz of rock knowledge.
Matching Igneous Rocks
- A matching game using types of igneous rocks.
Ideas for Essential Questions Project
• Comic Strip
• Crossword Puzzle
• Concept Map
• Picture Book
• PowerPoint Presentation
• Puppet Show
• Written Letter
• TV Show
• TV News Report
• Worksheet with Answer Key
• Choral Reading
• Collection with Narrative
• Diagram with Information
• Film Strip
• Photo Essay
• Picture Dictionary
• Who Am I?
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"