Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Highland LC Web Site
6th Grade Research 101
Anne Frank Extension
Freak the Mighty
Hour of Code
Livermore Outside Reading
Plant & Tree Identification
Westward Expansion (Peeps Project)
Professional Development Sessions
Resources for Teachers
Night Word Presentation
The web links below will help you gain background knowledge and find examples.
These resources should help you get started on the assignment.
If you venture out to do a web search, remember that these are sensitive and sometimes controversial issues. You will want to find balanced and accurate information. The source matters!
Be sure to check out the URL of the site and figure out WHO is the author of the site. Think about why that group or individual put together the website.
- An article from the Holocaust Encyclopedia defining the term.
- An article with background information from the US Holocaust Memorial Museum.
Report on Global Anti-Semitism
- A report from the US State Department about anti-semitism in the 21st Century.
Selected Anti-Semitic Incidents Around the World in 2009
- A time line from the Anti-Defamation League.
What is Genocide?
A resource from the US Holocaust Memorial Museum defining genocide.
Responding to Threats of Genocide Today
- An interactive map and resources about current threats of genocide.
Genocide in the 20th Century
- A resource from the History Place.
The Triumph of Evil
- A website companion to the PBS series about the Rwandan genocide.
- A page for the campaign to end genocide. Look at the About Genocide and Resources tabs for more information.
The Armenian Genocide
- A brief informational page from the Southern Poverty Law Center.
Prejudice - Not Giving a Fair Go
- A Kids Guide to Prejudice from South Australia. Aimed at 6-12 year-olds, this easy to read guide does present some information that would prove helpful.
What to Tell Your Child about Prejudice and Descrimintion
- A resource page with a helpful definition from the Anti-Defamation League.
- A resource of news stories from around the world dealing with prejudice from the World News Network.
- A rich collection of resources with links to organizations dealing with all types of prejudice.
- A resource from Tolerance.org dedicated to working to stop intolerance through education.
What is Racism?
- Definition and some historical background from the Anti-Defamation League.
Racism: An Overview
- An introduction about racism from the US Holocaust Museum Website.
African American Odyssey: The Civil Rights Era
- An resources from the Library of Congress. Many good pictures and original documents as well as explanation about significant events in the Civil Rights Movement.
Racism in the News
- A collection of recent news articles related to racism from the Tribune Company, publisher of the
- Various definitions for the term found on Encyclo.
Factsheet on Immigration
- A page with historical examples of using immigrants as scapegoats.
Articles in the News Mentioning Scapegoats
- A search of Google News for the term scapegoat.
What is a stereotype?
- A resource from the Media Awareness Network
Hidden Bias: About Stereotypes and Prejudice
- From Teaching Tolerance, this article includes definitions, examples, and the ways stereotypes and prejudice lead to bias.
- A resource from the Saskatchawan, Canada schools. Click on Next Page for another section on reasons and effects of stereotypes.
Civil Rights Era Images
- A collection of images from the Library of Congress
NYPL Picture Collection
- Type in search terms such as discrimination and human rights.
Public domain images
- Copyright friendly - public domain images for any use.
Citing your sources
- Remember if you use images, you also need to cite them!
LC Guide to Creating a Works Cited
or use a citation generator like
"Night Cover." Online image.
. 4 Feb. 2009
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"