Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Highland LC Web Site
6th Grade Research 101
Anne Frank Extension
Freak the Mighty
Hour of Code
Livermore Outside Reading
Plant & Tree Identification
Westward Expansion (Peeps Project)
Professional Development Sessions
Resources for Teachers
Colonial America Resources
Highland Learning Center
- Brief overviews of the thirteen colonies
American's Story from America's Library
- A resource page from the Library of Congress. Click on Explore the States to get more information on the history of each former colony.
The Thirteen Colonies
- a breakdown of the colonies by region from the History Channel.
Choose a database and once you login in, SEARCH the name of your Colony.
America the Beautiful
- Information on the economies, culture, history, and government of each of the states and major territories of the United States of America. Be sure to check the history section and take a look at the pictures.
World Book Online
- A full-text encyclopedia with maps and links to articles.
Tips for Searching the Web
Developing a Search:
THINK before you type
What do you want to find?
What are the KEYWORDS in the websites that will answer your questions?
Looking at your results:
THINK before you click
What type of page is coming up on your results list? Read the snippet and look at the URL.
Once you click, maximize your time. Cmmd+F = lets you find in the page
(and read critically) to be effective as a researcher
Build a new search
A reliable source has:
accurate information - how do you know? find two sources that agree. If the sources you check don't agree, look at a third source
reputable author or creator - how do you know? the person or organization is listed on the site. Researching that person or group gets you to information about his/her/their credentials.
the five Ws - WHO (wrote the page), WHAT (content is correct and site is easy to use), WHERE (source of the information), WHEN (the site is current), WHY (purpose of the site)
for looking at a website
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"